Thursday, November 29, 2012

Reading with QR Codes



     Ever since I noticed the little black squares with irregular patterns all over the place and learned that they contain coded information that can be read with iPads and phones, I've been thinking of how to use them in the library.  Today, I started working on a project that will allow me to invite students to experience the joy of reading in a different way!  
     In my new reading corner, students will be invited to use iPads to read magazines and to use QR codes to listen to books read by various authors online.  I started by compiling a list of youtube videos of books read aloud by some of my favourite authors.  Once I had a few videos, I used Quietube to get rid of the advertisements and unnecessary content found on youtube.  
     My goal is for students to use this new reading corner independently, therefore,  I used "Explain Everything" app to create a set of instructions for using QR codes.  
     In the future, I hope to invite teachers to participate in this project by recording podcasts of their favourite books.  I will then turn the podcasts into QR codes and tape the codes into the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List