Sunday, March 26, 2017

Makerspaces in the Library

My challenge this year was to introduce and tackle makerspaces in the library. Having collected a variety of materials such as Lego blocks, arts and crafts materials, iPads and laptops for coding, as well as a set of Kapla blocks introduced to us by our resident engineer, I invited primary and junior students to join me and a small group of dedicated teachers to build and create together. Unsure as to what a makerspace club should look like, I decided to go into it with an open mind and allow my students to take the lead.


After reading "Rosie Revere, Engineer" by Andrea Beaty and talking about perseverance, the power of failure and the magic of invention, I told students that the makerspace club is their club and all the creating, collaborating and inventing will be entirely up to them. We agreed on a few basic rules, explored the available materials and set out on a journey of building, creating and collaborating.

Through this process, I discovered that there is no one perfect recipe for creating makerspaces. What makes them work are the following:
- student voice and choice
- access to a variety of materials
- expert advice -anyone can be an expert!
- flexibility
- "what if" questions
- challenges and authentic situations and problems

Getting Started with Makerspaces





No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog List